Changes since Saturdays build:
- JIT is enabled. It turns out the fancy new JIT compiler Android 2.2 introduced was disabled for ARMv5TE devices for some reason. This build has it enabled (actually I’m now using the dalvik code from the CyanogenMod ROMs).
- CompCache is included. This takes a chunk of RAM and uses it as a compressed swap device, so essentially you can fit more in there at the expense of a little processor time doing the (de)compression. I think on the Axim with so little RAM it will be worthwhile.
- The system apps/frameworks are pre-optimized. This means the Axim doesn’t have to do so much work on first boot, so speeds things up a bit. Google for odex or dexpreopt if you want to find out more about that.
- The MMS and camera apps were removed, they don’t make much sense on the Axim.
- SD card mount permissions have been fixed - Android can write to your SD card and it couldn’t before. This means things like album art in the music app now work.
- I added some code to attempt to figure out which touchscreen model is in use. If X50/X50v users could let me know how it goes that would be great. Basically it looks at the first 100 values it gets and if they look like a X51 series device it assumes that’s what it is, otherwise it assumes X50 series. However, having never seen the data from an X50 series device I’m guessing what it will be based on the existing code, so it might be that I’m completely wrong. Also I’m not sure if 100 values will be too few/too many/just right. You might find that it doesn’t work for a few seconds then suddenly does work when it decides it’s an X50.
- I changed the key mapping, now it goes:
- Calendar = menu
- Contacts = back (I’m considering swapping Calendar/Contacts)
- Email = end call (not sure if this one is of any use)
- Home = home (yay!)
- Wireless = volume up
- Voice record = volume down
- Root FS is now using ext4 rather than ext3. Not sure why I chose ext3 to begin with to be honest :s
- Small tweaks like a boot logo
It seems to me that the speed on my device is now limited by my SD card rather than running out of RAM or anything else. My card is a pretty standard class 2 2GiB one, I may have to invest in a faster one to see if it makes much of a difference. I’ve also been looking at the internal flash which I think would be much faster than the SD card to read from, but at least for the X51(v) NAND flash it doesn’t seem like anyone has ever managed to use the chip with Linux. I’ve not given in yet though :)